img-name-mising

Jurbise route

Radwanderer ,  Fußgänger Um Jurbise
21.5 km
Fußgänger
3Uhr 30min
Mittel
21.5 km
Radwanderer
2Uhr
Mittel
  • Höhenunterschied
    82.44 m
  • Dokumentation
    Mit GPX / KML-Dateien können Sie die Route Ihrer Wanderung zu Ihrem GPS (oder einem anderen Navigationswerkzeug) exportieren
Orte von Interesse
1 Place de l’Eglise Saint-Eloi
The starting point of our route, you can park your vehicle in place de l’Eglise Saint-Eloi. Admire the Tuscan-style church, built of brick on a stone foundation. This beautiful lady was built in 1774. As for the lock of the portal, it dates from 1777.
_DSC2292-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg _DSC2299-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg Etape1_Jurbise.jpg
2 Moustier or Hambye castle
Léon Abrassart du Belloy had this castle built in 1901. On the plot there was originally only an agricultural building that would become an orangery and a small house converted into housing for the concierge. The castle then went to the Hambye family of Mons, who sold it in 1973 to the municipality of Jurbise. Since 1977, it has housed the communal house and large outbuildings over a 6 ha area where festivities and exhibitions are organised. The castle is closed to visitors, but its park has a play area for children.
_DSC2235-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg _DSC2244-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg Etape2_Jurbise.jpg
3 Saint Bartholomew chapel in Erbaut
Saint Bartholomew’s day is a tradition in Erbaut! Two chapels pay homage to the saint and every year, since 1853, a procession walks through the village. Originally dedicated only to horses, today it is also a day of blessing for the coaches. The procession passes not far from a magnificent chestnut tree, on rue du Centenaire, near a stone potale (a small niche that contains a statue) dated 1766. On the other side of the road, it passes by a chapel also dedicated to Saint Bartholomew dated 1948.
_DSC2231-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg Etape3_Jurbise.jpg
4 The tumulus of Erbaut
Talk has been rife in humble homes for years... What does the Erbaut tumulus actually represent? A Gallo-Roman tumulus, the tomb of a Gallic chief topped by a megalithic monument, a medieval underground passage connecting the hill to Herchies castle, a medieval clump... Speculation abounds, providing a real talking point for over a century!
Etape4_Jurbise.jpg
5 The Chêne à clous (nailed oak tree)
It’s called Chêne Saint-Antoine or “El Quêne à Claus” depending on whether you’re familiar with the place. On the borders of Herchies, on the edge of Erbaut, this nailed tree stands in the midst of fields and is endowed with special powers. People go there to drive into its bark a bandage or a “rag”, namely fabric that has been in contact with the wounded area. Classified by the Walloon Region since 1985, it’s one of the last trees alleged by some to have special powers to cure boils, pimples, warts.... And by extension all skin diseases.
_DSC2215-VisitMons-GrégoryMathelot.jpg Etape5_Jurbise.jpg
6 The primitive castle of Egmont in Herchies
The castle of Egmont in Herchies owes its survival to the restoration orchestrated by canon Edmond Puissant, in the 19th century. Today Marie-Médiatrice priory, this old castle is now occupied by about twenty monks. You can sleep there to share the “prayer and silence” of the occupants, visit the monastic shop that sells jams and small crafts or simply walk around its grounds to admire the castle’s ancient moat.
Etape6_Jurbise.jpg
7 L’Arbre de la Liberté (the Freedom Tree)
In the years following the French Revolution, freedom trees were planted to commemorate events which heralded new eras. At Herchies, a freedom plane tree grew near the Grand-Place in 1793. In 1963, faced with the risk of collapse the tree had to be cut down as it had become hollow. Since 1974, a new tree has stood in place of the old one in the middle of the square.
Etape7_Jurbise.jpg
8 Saint-Moulin farm
Also known as Agasse farm, this is one of the most typical square farms in the region. Composed of buildings with whitewashed walls, it is also one of the oldest buildings since it is already mentioned at the beginning of the 17th century. It would have previously been called “La Cense de Locre” (Locre farm), a name found since 1561. With its magnificent, imposing presence, it’s worth the detour.
Etape8_Jurbise.jpg
9 Tourette or Gervoise farm
In the family of Jurbise’s farms, I request Tourette farm, probably one of the most elegant. On 17 April 1753, Benoit Emmanuel de Beyne sold Tourette farm, which then comprised 18 bonniers de terre (formerly a measurement unit used in Flanders, totalling 1 hectare 40 acres), to Philippe Antoine Gauquier, a farmer in Wodecq. One of his daughters married Benoni Gervoise, who was mayor (burgomaster) for over 40 years and exceptionally served under three different regimes (French, Dutch and Belgian). He gave his name to the farm, which has now been converted into multiple residences.
Etape10_Jurbise.jpg
10 Château de la Source, Erbisoeul
How can you mention Jules Destrée without thinking of his famous letter to King Albert I, written in 1912? This is one of the founding texts to raise an awareness of Walloon identity. In it the politician talks about his childhood memories and his holidays with his uncle and aunt, at Château de la Source in Erbisoeul. Still visible via the priests’ path, this house remains an important milestone for this man of action, an emblematic figure in the awakening of the Walloon consciousness.
Cha¦éteau de la source2.jpg Cha¦éteau de la source1.jpg
11 Cambin or Criquelion farm, the oldest
Isolated in the meadows, the vast white-walled farm is surrounded by a fence wall probably dating back to the 16th century, as evidenced by the crest dated 1579 inserted above the pedestrian door. Its entrance, confined by two pillars giving access to two inner courtyards, points to a tall, generously proportioned building which commands the admiration of old stone enthusiasts. The low outbuildings, along with a barn dating all the way back to 1888, nicely finish the ensemble.
Etape12_Jurbise.jpg
12 The Royal Golf Club in Erbisoeul
Designed by Tom Simpson, one of the most renowned English architects of his time, the Royal Golf Club of Erbisoeul was inaugurated in 1933. With its three courses, it is one of the most beautiful golfing sites in Belgium. Located in the heart of the Hainaut pine forest, this golf course truly is a haven of peace allowing you to roam through nature and changing landscapes over the seasons.
82 Meter Höhenunterschied
  • Höhe des Startpunkts : 74 m
  • Höhe des Ankunftsorts : 73 m
  • Maximale Höhe : 90 m
  • Minimale Höhe : 63 m
  • Totaler positiver Höhenmeter : 82 m
  • Totaler negativer Höhenmeter : -84 m
  • Maximaler positiver Höhenmeter : 14 m
  • Maximaler negativer Höhenmeter : -9 m